Local night spots celebrate New Year’s Eve with music
By Michael Witthaus firstname.lastname@example.org
This New Year’s Eve, you can get down on the dance floor, laugh it up with a comic or dine in sumptuous elegance — in some places, all three. A few places offer a fully self-contained experience, with hotel rooms, shuttle services or limousine rides past roadside checkpoints
From Concord to Portsmouth, there’s a perfect way to turn the meter from ’09 to ’10. Here are some of the the locations planning a big to-do for Dec. 31. If you know of a place not listed here, let us know at email@example.com and check out next week’s paper for last minute listings.
• Dance the night away with DJ Jonny C and DJ Danny D at the Amber Room, 53 High St. in Nashua. Tickets are $25 advance/$40 door, with booth and table VIP packages ranging from $500 to $1,500; all can be purchased at 881-9060.
• You may get discovered by a pop band looking for a new lead singer at the year-end “Barleyoke” party happening at the Barley House, 132 N. Main St. in Concord. There is no cover. Call 228-6363.
• A full dinner menu is available at the Black Brimmer, 1087 Elm St. in Manchester, where local rockers Vegas Temper tear it up. Tickets are $10 at 669-5523.
• Close out the year in style at the Black Orchid Grille, 8 Temple St. in Nashua, with a five-course meal and cool jazz from the Michael Troy Duo. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. ($75) and 9 p.m. ($89) — the second seating includes noisemakers and a midnight champagne toast. For reservations, call 577-8910.
• Make it a bluegrass New Year with Rockspring at the Blue Mermaid Island Grill, located on the hill at Hanover and High streets in Portsmouth. Seth Gooby opens the show, which starts at 9 p.m. and goes until the cows come home (before 1 a.m.). Call 427-2583.
• Local reggae favorites Roots of Creation will close out 2009 at the Bounty Club, located in the Holiday Inn, 9 Northeastern Blvd. in Nashua. The “goonies and wenches”-themed party starts at 7 p.m. Admission is $45 and includes a gourmet hot appetizer/finger food buffet and a midnight champagne toast, with a 50-foot pirate ship cash bar. Call 888-1551.
• City Sports Grille & Stadium Ten Pin, 216 Maple St. in Manchester, will feature the Tom Dixon Band. Champagne toast, party favors and light munchies are included with tickets costing $10, which can be purchased at the bar or by calling 625-9656.
• Renegade Soundstation takes over Club Liquid, 23 Amherst St. in Manchester, for the All Black Everything New Year’s Eve Bash — all black attire encouraged, but not required. It’s a 9 p.m. start for DJ Danjah & King Ilabash on the turntables, with live performances by Mad Bwoy, Fresh 2 Def and Mighty Mistic. Tickets are $10; call 645-7600 to reserve.
• Rock out with Mugsy at the Derryfield Country Club, 625 Mammoth Road in Manchester. The music starts at 9 p.m.; tickets are $10, which include champagne and party favors. Call 623-2880.
• Bob Arens rings in the New Year with cool jazz and Sinatra styling at the Dolphin Striker, 15 Bow St. in Portsmouth. Call 431-5222.
• DJ dancing is the featured entertainment at Element Lounge, 1055 Elm St. in Manchester, with champagne and party favors all night. There’s no cover; call 627-2922.
• Fody’s Tavern, 9 Clinton St. Nashua, greets 2010 with classic rock from Mad Express. Call Fody’s at 577-9015.
• At Fratello’s, located in the Millyard district at 155 Dow St. in Manchester, North Shore Comedy comics entertain and DJ Nick Lamberti spins tunes, with an extravagant dinner buffet loaded with shrimp, scallops, sesame-encrusted salmon and a carving station upstaging everything. The fun begins at 7:30 p.m., and costs $69.95, which includes party favors and a toast at midnight. Call 641-6776 to make reservations for this dressy (no jeans) affair.
• The intimate Gate City Pub, 56 Canal St. in Nashua, has DJ Joe spinning records until the ball drops, with raffles and prizes throughout the night. Call 598-8256.
• Concord favorites (and provocatively named) Boogie on Alice hold forth at the Green Martini, located at 6 Pleasant St. in Concord. Call 223-6672.
• There’s a free midnight buffet, with DJ dancing all night long, at Griffings Side Trax, 99 Route 13 in Brookline. No cover, call 673-3244.
• The North Shore Comedy Club laughs continue at Headliners Comedy Club, located in the Clarion Hotel at 21 Front St. in Manchester. Brad Mastrangelo, Rob Steen and Eric Hurst provide the comedy. Dinner and show packages are available at $50 per person, and must booked in advance by calling Harts Turkey Farm at 669-3333.
• Drinks cost a buck more, but everything else is free at Haluwa Lounge, located in the Nashua Mall. There will be music by local rockers Shades Apart, with complimentary noisemakers and hats — call 883-6662.
• South-of-the-border refreshments accent the New Year’s party at Hermanos Cocina Mexicana, located at 11 Hills Ave. off Main Street in Concord. Mango Garden provides the music. Call 224-5669.
• Thursday night regular Tim Cannon entertains at the Monty Python-inspired Holy Grail Food & Spirits, located at 64 Main St. in Epping. Call 679-9559.
• Jillian’s Billiard Club, 50 Philippe Cote Drive in Manchester, is partnering with the Four Points Sheraton Hotel for “Prom Night — Past or Present,” which includes prizes for best-dressed couple and class clown and the crowning of a king and queen. Admission is $10, with a room package available for $89 that includes free shuttle to the party, complimentary hot breakfast and late checkout. Music by Five Flavor Discount begins at 9 p.m. For tickets, call 626-7636.
• Smokehouse Lightning loves playing at Johnny’s Pizza Bar & Grill, Lowell Road, in Hudson. Call the bar at 880-7087.
• The owner’s band will be onstage at Johnny Bad’s, 542 Elm St. in Manchester. They’re called Plead Insanity, and rest assured, they’ll play whatever they want. Call 222-9191.
• Kevin Cornish, the namesake of Manchester’s little slice of barbecue heaven, KC’s Rib Shack, 837 Second St. in Manchester, will perform with his band the Rezidudes. The no-cover evening promises good drinks, music and a badass time — call 627-7427.
• Classic rock with Code 3, champagne and party favors all feature at the Loudon Road Restaurant and Pit Road Lounge, 388 Loudon Road in Concord. Tickets are $15 and are available at 226-0533.
• Supporting band details were still being worked out at press time, but Streamline will definitely rock in New Year’s at Milly’s Tavern, 500 Commercial St. in Manchester. It will also be the last show with the band’s original drummer. Call 625-4444 for tickets.
• Saffron scallops, pan-roasted quail, braised short ribs with bordelaise sauce and a bittersweet chocolate mousse torte for dessert are all included for $65 a person at the upscale Mint Bistro, 1105 Elm St. in Manchester. A jazz trio keeps the vibe mellow. Make reservations for 6 or 9 p.m. by calling 625-6468.
• Roxanne & Voodoo Rockers bring their hard-edged blues to Moe Joe’s Tavern, 2175 Candia Road in Manchester. No cover; call 668-0131.
• Both Pasta Loft restaurants feature New Year’s entertainment. Two by Two play classic rock at 220 E. Main St. East Hampstead, 378-0092. Meanwhile, the Transistors play at the Milford location at 241 Union Square in Milford, 672-2270.
• Patrick’s, located at 18 Weirs Road in Gilford, offers a no-hassle no-frills party with the Red Hat Band, beginning at 9 p.m. Call 293-0841.
• Classic rock from Thirdstone mingles with the Irish vibe at Peddler’s Daughter, 48 Main St. in Nashua. Call 880-8686.
• Jamantics, an odds-on favorite for band of the year on many local music scorecards, keeps things lively with original music at Penuche’s Ale House, 6 Pleasant St. in Concord. Call 228-9833.
• Queen City Ballroom, 21 Dow St. in Manchester, 622-1500, www.queencityballroom.nh.com, will hold a New Year’s Eve Dance Pary on Thursday, Dec. 31, from 7:30 to 12:30 a.m. The event is semi-formal; singles and couples of all dance levels welcome. There will be a mix of ballroom, Latin, and swing music. Hats and noisemakers as well as hot and cold buffet style hors d’oeuvres and desserts will be provided. There will be a Champagne or sparkling cider toast at midnight, followed by pastries and coffee. Tickets cost $25 per person. Call or go online for tickets.
• Ri Ra Irish Pub, located in the busting heart of Portsmouth at 22 Market Square, welcomes favorite sons Stomping Melvin. Admission is $3.50, for more call 319-1680.
• Shenanigans, 586 Nashua St. in Milford, welcomes Banshee for a no-cover-charge show, with free appetizers, giveaways and a champagne toast at midnight. Call 672-2060.
• Enjoy dinner with salad, appetizer, entrée and a bottle of wine for $75 a couple at Sky Lounge, 522 Amherst St. in Nashua. The party includes DJ dancing, party favors and a champagne toast at midnight. For reservations, call 882-6026.
• Jammed plays classic rock at Slammer’s, 547 Donald St. in Bedford. Call 668-2120.
• Alley Blues hosts a New Year’s Rockin’ Eve party at the swank Stella Blu, 70 E. Pearl St. in Nashua. Call 578-5557 for reservations.
• House band Dave Rousseau & the Strange Brew All-Stars play music, with an appetizer and dessert buffet, champagne toast and party favors, at Strange Brew Tavern, 88 Market St. Manchester. Call 666-4292.
• The New Year’s party serves two purposes at the Village Trestle, 25 Main St. in Goffstown. There’s no cover charge, but everyone is encouraged to support the troops by bringing an item from the list of things posted at www.give2thetroops.org or a $5 donation to benefit VA hospitals. Problem Child plays AC/DC covers, with rides home with Ted. Call 497-8230.
• A Black and White Ball featuring DJ Bobby Gallagher is happening at Wally and Bernie’s, 20 Old Granite St. in Manchester. WB’s is offering Silver, Platinum and Gold Level VIP tables, seating up to four and furnished with food and libations. Regular admission is $15 advance and $20 at the door, and includes a buffet from 8 to 10 p.m. Call 641-2583 for tickets.
• Souled Out Soul Show Band always revs things up at Whippersnappers, 44 Nashua Road # 13 in Londonderry. This year’s theme is “Rockin’ in a Winter Wonderland;” $60 tickets include dinner, dessert buffet, champagne toast and a safe ride home in a limousine (priceless). For reservations, call 434-2660.
• North Shore Comedy Club is ubiquitous this year. At The Yard, 1211 S. Mammoth Road in Manchester, a one-hour standup show precedes live music with Richie Rich and 24K Funk, all included with a $75 dinner package. Get tickets at the Yard, or call 623-3545.