Grab the noisemaker and pop your cork
Where to get your party on
By Dana Unger firstname.lastname@example.org
The lineup of parties, live music, and blasting bashes for New Year’s Eve has a little something in store for everyone this year. Catch a murder mystery show, a live television rock party, a stand-up comedy celebration, or a cops-and-robbers-themed bash. Whatever your preference or your poison, here’s a list of some of the best places to ring in 2009 on Wednesday, Dec. 31.
• Portsmouth’s Gas Light will hold their New Year’s Eve White Party, 9 p.m. to 2 a.m., at 64 Market St. in Portsmouth. The bash will feature interactive entertainment, music by DJ Biggie, drink specials, appetizers, a champagne toast, and a live big screen viewing of the New York City countdown. Exotic, provocative, or wintry white attire is requested. General admission tickets cost $40, and VIP tickets cost $75. For more information, or to purchase tickets, visit www.portsmouthgaslight.com.
• Dance the night away at Electra Nightclub’s 7th Annual New Year’s Eve Bash starting at 9 p.m., at 88 Benning St. in West Lebanon. DJ Eric G will be spinning the best of hip-hop, dance, reggae and reggaeton all night, and there will be plenty of party favors and a champagne toast at midnight.
• It’s a New Year’s heist at Jillian’s, when they present their Break the Bank Party at 9 p.m., 50 Phillippe Cote St. in Manchester. The cops-and-robbers-themed event allows participants to enter a five-digit code for “the vault” to win $25,000, and a grab-the-dough Money Machine. There will also be music by Sett, beer tubs, shot girls, and a champagne toast and balloon drop with money and prizes at midnight. Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased at 626-7636.
• Ring in 2009 by celebrating the ’80s at the New Year’s Eve Big 80s Bash at 8 p.m., at the Meadowbrook US Cellular Pavilion, at 72 Meadowbrook Lane in Gilford. Put on your OP shirt and jelly shoes for the party, which will feature a dinner, dancing to the hits of the ’80s and a champagne toast at midnight, followed by a continental breakfast. Tickets cost $55.
• Folk singer-songwriter Vance Gilbert will headline the Tupelo New Year’s Eve Show at 7 p.m., at Tupelo Music Hall, 2 Young Road in Londonderry. See story below for details.
• A European New Year’s awaits at the Palace Festival Orchestra’s New Year’s Eve in Vienna at 6 p.m., at The Palace Theatre, 80 Hanover St. in Manchester. The celebration will feature music, waltzes and a champagne toast. Tickets cost $30 to $38 and can be purchased at 668-5588.
• The Element Lounge will throw a New Year’s Eve celebration at 6 p.m., 1055 Elm St. in Manchester. The alternative nightclub will feature a special menu of appetizers, entrees and desserts, as well as music, party favors and a champagne toast at midnight. Tickets cost $20.
• Enjoy some live music from rock group Thirdstone at the Peddler’s Daughter New Year’s Party at 9:30 p.m., 48 Main St. in Nashua.
• The Flambeaux will host a Rock Hard Country New Year’s Eve Party on Wednesday, Dec. 31, at 1181 Elm St. in Manchester. The night will feature a live show by country music performer Tom Dixon and The Tom Dixon Band. For ticket information, call 626-0304.
• Manchester’s community access station, MCAM-TV 23, PFG-TV, and Scorch present a New Year’s Eve Rock ’n’ Roll Show & Dance live at 7:15 p.m. The show will feature more than five hours of live music from Aerosmith tribute band Draw the Line, Sons of Kalah, Before the Crash, The Gray Davies, A.P.E., plus comedy special guests. Watch it live on MCAM or come down to the party at 540 Commercial St., Manchester. Tickets cost $100 and include free food and drinks as well as a silent auction, door prizes and $200 for the best dressed couple.
• It’s a night of murder and intrigue when Fody’s Great American Tavern hosts a special New Year’s Eve Murder Mystery Dinner at 6 p.m., 9 Clinton St. in Nashua. The evening will also feature music by a live DJ.
• Join The Breezeway as they ring in the new year with a New Year’s Celebration with DJ McKay on Wednesday, Dec. 31, at 14 Pearl St. in Manchester. There is no cover charge for the party, which will feature a buffet, party favors and a champagne toast. Call 621-9111.
• Club 313 will throw their New Year’s party, NYE ’09 at 93 South Maple St., Manchester. The party will feature three rooms of music —DJ Bob in the Main Room, DJ Dave G in the Retro Room, and karaoke with CJ. There will be complimentary hors d’oeuvres all evening, and tickets cost $10 at the door.
• The Amber Room’s 2nd Annual New Year’s Eve Gala at 53 High St. in Nashua will feature music by DJ Jonny C and DJ Danny D, playing top 40, vocal dance, and club anthems from the ’80s and ’90s all night. The bash includes party favors and a champagne toast and balloon drop at midnight. Advance tickets and VIP tables can be purchased by calling 881-9060.
• Celebrate 2009 with a night of live music at the Strange Brew Tavern, 88 Market St. in Manchester. The celebration will feature performances by David Rousseau and the SBT All-Stars, who will be playing all night. Call 666-4292.
• Massachusetts rock group Tigerlily will headline New Year’s Eve at The Black Brimmer at 6 p.m., 1087 Elm St. in Manchester. The celebration will feature hors d’oeuvres, party favors, a personalized keepsake, a champagne toast, and the first 25 people will receive a Goody Bag. Advance tickets cost $30, and can be purchased at 669-5523. VIP packages are also available by request.
• Laugh in the new year with the New Year’s Eve comedy show at Headliner’s Comedy Club at 8 p.m., 21 Front St. in Manchester. The show will feature stand-up from Mike Donovan, Rob Steen, Tom Dustin and Pat Napoli. Tickets cost $30 and can be purchased at www.headlinerscomedyclub.com.
• Enjoy the rockabilly and country sounds of the Elsa Cross Band at The Press Room’s New Year’s celebration at 9 p.m., 77 Daniel St. in Portsmouth. Admission costs $5 at the door.
• McCue’s Billiards & Sports Lounge will host their 4th Annual New Year’s Eve Party at 12 Emerald St. in Keene. The night will feature live music from The Tom Foolery Band.
• The Queen City Ballroom will present their New Year’s Eve Dance Party at 8 p.m., 21 Dow St. in Manchester. This semi-formal dance is for singles and couples of all dance levels with a mix of ballroom, Latin and swing sounds. There will be appetizers and desserts as well as a champagne and sparkling cider toast at midnight. Tickets cost $23 and can be purchased at 622-1500 or www.queencityballroomnh.com.
• Tickets are now on sale for the Pit Road Lounge’s New Year’s Eve celebration at 8 p.m., 388 Loudon Road in Concord. The event will feature live music from Code 3 and Stray Dog, as well as party favors and a champagne toast. Tickets cost $20 and can be purchased at 226-0533.
• Murphy’s Taproom will host New Year’s Eve with the Free Radicals at 8 p.m., 494 Elm St. in Manchester. There will be a champagne toast and appetizer buffet, as well as a live viewing of the Times Square ball drop. Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased at the Taproom or at www.murphystaproom.net.
• Slammer’s Sports Bar & Grill, 547 Donald St. in Bedford, will host a New Year’s Eve party with music by The 45’s and a champagne toast and party favors. Admission costs $5.