Feast your way into the New Year
Local restaurants offer special meals for the big night
By Linda A. Thompson-Odum email@example.com
Need a place to ring in the New Year (or to satisfy the appetite before the clock hits midnight)?
Many area restaurants have special menus and events for the evening. All require reservations, so make your plans as soon as possible, and most of the dinner menus can be found on the restaurants’ Web sites.
Know of a place not listed here? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and check back next week in the Weekly Dish for last- minute New Year’s Eve dining ideas.
• The Alphorn Bistro at the Inn at Danbury, 67 NH Route 104, Danbury, 768-3318, www.innatdanbury.com, will serve a three-course prix fixe menu from 4 to 9 p.m. The rest of the evening’s festivities will begin at 10 p.m. with music from Jim Hollis. The dinner is $29 per person.
• Bedford Village Inn, 2 Olde Bedford Way, Bedford, 472-2001, www.bedfordvillageinn.com, will serve a four-course prix fixe menu in the dining room from 5 to 9:30 p.m. The menu will feature items such as a Kobe Beef Carpaccio appetizer, an Atlantic Shellfish Pot au Feu entrée, and Eggnog Bread Pudding and Orange Champagne Cake for dessert. (View the compete menu at the Web site.) The cost is $69 per person. Also, both the Tavern and Corks will have a special a la carte menu for the evening.
• A full dinner menu is available at the Black Brimmer, 1087 Elm St. in Manchester, www.blackbrimmer.com, where the special addition to the menu is local rockers Vegas Temper tearing it up. Tickets are $10 at 669-5523.
• The Black Orchid Grille, 8 Temple St. in Nashua, www.blackorchidgrille.com, will serve a five-course meal and cool jazz from the Michael Troy Duo. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. ($75) and 9 p.m. ($89) — the second seating includes noisemakers and a midnight champagne toast. For reservations, call 577-8910.
• Cotton, 75 Arms St., Manchester, 622-5488, www.cottonfood.com, will serve a special three-course dinner from 5 to 10 p.m. Chef Jeff Paige was still at work on the details, but he said the menu “will be ‘kicked up’ a few notches from our regular menu fare.” The price will vary from $35 for vegetarian option to $50 per person, and the entrees will include a vegetarian, poultry, beef, pork and two fish or seafood selections.
• At Fratello’s, located in the Millyard district at 155 Dow St. in Manchester, www.fratellos.com, will offer comedy and an extravagant dinner buffet loaded with shrimp, scallops, sesame-encrusted salmon and a carving station upstaging everything. The fun begins at 7:30 p.m. and costs $69.95, which includes party favors and a toast at midnight. Call 641-6776 to make reservations.
• Granite Restaurant and Bar at the Centennial Hotel, 96 Pleasant St., Concord, 227-9000, www.graniterestaurant.com, will have a special five-course menu for the evening. Highlights include an appetizer of jicama taco and scallop ravioli, and entrees such as butter-poached lobster tail, beef two ways (braised short ribs and petit filet), pork two ways (tenderloin and orange glazed pork belly); and corn-encrusted tofu. The menu is available a la carte or prix fixe for $120 per person, which includes wine pairings for each dish on each course. There will be a champagne toast at midnight and a DJ and dance floor downstairs with a full bar until 1:30 a.m.
• South-of-the-border refreshments accent the New Year’s party at Hermanos Cocina Mexicana, located at 11 Hills Ave. off Main Street in Concord, www.hermanosmexican.com. Mango Garden provides the music. For more call 224-5669.
• Kevin Cornish, the namesake of Manchester’s little slice of barbecue heaven, KC’s Rib Shack, 837 Second St. in Manchester, www.ribshack.net, will serve ribs and sausage as well as music with his band Rezidudes. Call 627-7427.
• Mint Bistro, 1105 Elm St., Manchester, 625-6468, mintbistronh.com, will serve a special five-course custom menu, with champagne and live music. The menu features saffron scallops, pan-roasted quail, and petite braised short ribs, and finishes with a bittersweet chocolate mousse torte. Three seatings are available: 5 to 7:30 p.m.; 7:30 to 10 p.m.; and 10 p.m. to the New Year.
• Pasquale’s Italian Ristorante, 143 Raymond Road in Candia, 483-5005, www.pasqualeincandia.com, will have an evening featuring hors d’oeuvres, dinner, music and a midnight Champagne toast. Call for reservations and prices.
• Richard’s Bistro, 36 Lowell St., Manchester, 644-1180, richardsbistro.com, will serve a special cote de boeuf for two that evening. Chef Matt Provencher said he likes to serve a dish for two on New Year’s Eve. He will also feature a fish or seafood special, and the regular menu will be available. (Brunch will be served on New Year’s Day as well as the regularly scheduled brunch on Sunday.)
• Saffron Bistro, 80 Main St., Nashua, 883-2100, www.TheSaffronBistro.com, will serve a four-course dinner with an early seating at 6 p.m. and a late seating at 9 p.m. The entrée selection includes pecan-crusted chicken served over Jasmine rice with a fresh peach and port glaze; black Angus filet mignon with parmesan potato gratin and a cabernet reduction; lobster and shrimp flambé served over black pepper fettuccini; or winter braised short ribs served with goat cheese whipped potatoes. The evening will finish with dessert and a champagne toast. The cost is $65 per person.
• Sunny’s Table, 11 Depot St., Concord, 225-8181, will serve a four-course prix fixe menu with a selection of six entrees and appetizers. Some of the highlights include yellowfin tuna in green curry with braised baby pak choi cabbage and jasmine rice; Miles Smith Farm natural beef skirt steak with truffled miso risotto; Chinese five-spice rubbed roasted pork loin with mashed local Kennebec potatoes and yams; and soy-braised tofu and soba noodles. The price ranges from $35 to $45 per person.
• Whippersnappers, 44 Nashua Road #13 in Londonderry, will mix food and rock with a dinner, dessert buffet and champagne toast. Souled Out Show Band will perfom. Tickets cost $60 and include a safe ride home in a limousine. Call 434-2660 for reservations.
• The Yard, 1211 S. Mammoth Road in Manchester, will serve comedy and music with dinner, all included with a $75 ticket. Call 623-3545.
• Z Food and Drink, 860 Elm St., Manchester, 629-9383, www.zfoodanddrink.com, will hold its ultimate house party from 10 p.m. to midnight with trivia, a Lego building contest, and table-vs.-table Pictionary. There will also be door prizes, raffles and swag.