Treat Dad to something special
Where to get a man-sized meal on Father’s Day
By Linda A. Thompson-Odum email@example.com
Ain’t it always the way for dads — Fathers’ Day doesn’t get quite as much of a to-do as Mother’s Day.
While not as many restaurants are offering special menus, there are a few getting into the spirit for Dad. It’s even possible to take out the main man for a meal and a ball game.
• Bedford Village Inn, 2 Olde Bedford Way, Bedford, 472-2001, www.bedfordvillageinn.com, has its regular Sunday brunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. A complete menu can be found on the Web site.
• Cotton, 75 Arms St., Manchester, 622-5488, www.cottonfood.com, will be open from 5 to 8 p.m. Chef Jeff Paige said in an e-mail, “It seems when most dads cook, they man the grill or barbecue. So we’ve decided to feature some grill specials to honor fathers; all-natural beef steaks, slow cooked pork ribs, etc.”
• Country Tavern Restaurant and Pub, 452 Amherst St., Nashua, 889-5871, www.countrytavern.org, will serve a brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. There will be a carving station with ham, lamb, pork and turkey. Omelets will be made to order, and there will be the traditional breakfast items. Luncheon items are also available. The buffet includes coffee and orange juice. The cost is $15.95 for adults and $8.95 for children under 10. Reservations are suggested.
• The Currier Museum of Art, 150 Ash St. in Manchester, 669-6144, www.currier.org, will celebrate Father’s Day on Sunday, June 21, with a special menu at the café in the Winter Garden featuring a Bloody Mary bar, specialty beers, hoagies and grinders. There will also be a tour at 1 p.m., art-making from 2 to 3 p.m. and a “Welcome to the Currier: Highlights of the Collection” tour. No reservations required. Tour and art-making are free with museum admission.
• Damian’s on the River, 737 River Road, New Boston, 497-8888, will offer a special Father’s Day menu from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Some of the entrée highlights include a bacon- wrapped duckling terrine with blueberry ginger chutney; Maryland Crab cakes, New England clam chowder, beef tenderloin and lobster casserole duet; prime rib with Yorkshire pudding and horseradish cream, and grilled Belize cobia with mango salsa. Plus, the ice cream stand will have fit-for-dad sundaes all day for $4. Reservations are strongly recommended.
• Holy Grail Food and Spirits, 64 Main St., Epping, 679-9559, www.theholygrailpub.com, will have a brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be a wide range of breakfast items as well as dishes such as seafood chowder, baked haddock, carved meat selection, stuffed chicken, a chef’s pasta selection, and a chef’s vegetarian option. The cost is $15.95 for adults and $5.95 for children. Reservations are strongly recommended.
• Inn at Danbury, 67 NH Route 104, Danbury, 768-3318, www.innatdanbury.com, is open for lunch and dinner from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. The regular menu will be available as well as a special three-course prix fixe lunch for $23 and a four-course dinner for $33. Reservations are required.
• Michael Timothy’s, 212 Main St. Nashua, 595-9334, will have a Father’s Day brunch from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The menu is a bit more unusual than the typical brunch fare with dishes such as Stir-Fried Asian Noodles, Eggs Goldenrod, and Mediterranean pasta salad. (View the complete menu at www.michaeltimothys.com.) The cost is $23 for adults and $10 for children under 12. There is a live jazz piano performance every Sunday. Reservations accepted for parties of five or more.
• Moe Joe’s Family Restaurant, 2175 Candia Road, Manchester, 668-0131, will have a Father’s Day brunch from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Traditional brunch dishes will be served, as well as items such as linguica with sautéed peppers and onions, Portuguese sweetbread French toast, roast pork loin and baked stuffed chicken. The cost is $14.95 for adults and $9.95 for children under 12. Also, the full breakfast menu will be available in dining room. (The brunch is not available at the Country Diner.)
• New Hampshire Fisher Cats, MerchantsAuto.com Stadium, 1 Line Drive, Manchester, www.nhfishercats.com, will have an all-you-can-eat buffet brunch at the Samuel Adams Bar & Grill prior to the Fisher Cats-Erie SeaWolves 1:05 p.m. game. The meal begins at 11 a.m. and continues until 2 p.m. with menu items such as hot pastrami, carved turkey, Chef’s choice vegetable, and mashed potatoes. The cost is $16 per person. For dads who enjoy the more traditional barbecue fare, check out the Dinner in the Den option. For $27, everyone gets a ticket to sit in the Den (just below the Bar & Grill and just above the left field wall) with a 90-minute, all-you-can eat buffet of steak tips, hamburgers, hot dogs, Italian Sausage, barbecued baked beans, garden salad, watermelon, cookies, fruit punch and iced tea. The Dinner in the Den opens 90 minutes before the game, and the food will be offered from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Plus, the first 1,000 Dads in attendance on Father’s Day get a free Fisher Cats hat, courtesy of Amato’s. The Samuel Adams Bar & Grill buffet can be added to any ticket by ordering at www.nhfishercats.com or calling 641-2005, or in person at the stadium ticket office. Dinner in the Den tickets can be ordered by calling the Group Sales Department at 641-2005 ext. 161 or in person at the stadium ticket office.
• Saffron Bistro, 80 Main St., Nashua, 883-2100, www.thesaffronbistro.com, will not be open for Father’s Day, but if you bring Dad to the restaurant on Friday, June 19, or Saturday, June 20, he will get a free entrée. Reservations are required.
• The Yard Seafood and Steakhouse, 1211 S. Mammoth Road, Manchester, 623-3545, www.theyardrestaurant.com, will have an all-you-can eat Father’s Day buffet from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. with breakfast, lunch and dinner items as well salad and desserts. The cost is $18.95 for adults and $9.95 for kids under 10. Children under 3 eat free. Reservations are required. The restaurant will also be open for dinner from 4 to 9 p.m.
• Zorvino Vineyards, 226 Main St, Sandown, 887-8463, www.zorvino.com, will have a Father’s Day barbecue buffet with seatings at 2 or 3 p.m. The menu will feature items such as beef brisket, short ribs, grilled chicken and corn, and striped bass (the complete menu is available on the Web site). The cost is $35 for adults, $17 for children 4 to 12, and kids 3 and under eat free. Reservations are required.
Meat + Fire
Is the dad in your life happiest when he’s cooking meat over fire? If his Father’s Day is the best when it’s spent next to the grill, here are some places to get Dad a meaty treat.
• Bare Bonz Butcher Shop 707 Milford Road, Merrimack, 889-9600
• Bedford Prime Meat 132 Bedford Center Road, Bedford, 471-6328
• Bull Run Beef & Specialty Shoppe 1100 Hooksett Road, Hooksett, 669-0891
• The Healthy Buffalo, 258 Dover Road, Route 4, Chichester, 369-3611.
• The Meat House 254 Wallace Road, Bedford, 472-5444; 16 Sheep Davis Road, Pembroke, 227-5261
• Mr. Steer Meats, 27 Buttrick Road in Londonderry, 434-1444, mrsteermeats.com
• Quality Cash Market 11 Eastman St., Concord, 225-9661