Give the gift of nobody doing dishes
The many places to treat mom to a meal
By Linda A. Thompson-Odum firstname.lastname@example.org
Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 10 — so you still have a bit of time to make those brunch or dinner reservations to help Mom celebrate.
Here are some of the restaurants offering special menus or buffets for Mother’s Day. Remember, as with any special day for dining, reservations are very strongly recommended.
• Alan’s of Boscawen (133 N. Main St., Boscawen, 753-6631, www.alansofboscawen.com) will offer a brunch buffet from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. featuring an omelet station, turkey with stuffing and gravy, pasta, stuffed haddock, a carving station, desserts and more. Alan’s will also offer dinner specials starting at noon and its regular menu starting at 4 p.m. Call for prices and reservations.
• Alpine Grove (19 S. Depot Road, Route 111A in Hollis, 882-9051, www.alpinegrove.com) will offer a Mother’s Day brunch with a jazz duo. Reserved seating is available from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cost is $16 for adults, $9 for children 12 and under.
• Bedford Village Inn (2 Olde Bedford Way, Bedford, 472-2001, www.bedfordvillageinn.com). The inn has both a brunch and dinner option for Mom. In the Great Hall will be the brunch buffet with cold items such as citrus poached shrimp with bloody Mary cocktail sauce, and hot dishes like cheese blintz topped with a warm peach compote, plus carving stations, omelets to order, and a dessert buffet. The cost for the brunch is $39 per person, $20 for children under 10. The brunch runs from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.The dining room will serve a four-course fixed-price menu (see the complete listing of the options for appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts on the Web site) from 1 to 6:30 p.m. The dinner cost is $49 per person. Reservations are recommended.
• The Black Orchid Grille (8 Temple St. in Nashua, 577-8910, www.blackorchidgrille.com) is offering an a la carte Mother’s Day brunch from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., featuring an omelet station from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Entrees include steak with gorgonzola ravioli, grilled organic Scottish salmon, stuffed chicken breast, shrimp and scallop pomodoro and roast leg of lamb. Call for reservations.
• Cafe 324 (324 Commercial St., Manchester, 666-5432, www.cafe324.com), which is now open on the weekends, is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sundays and serves breakfast all day. See the menu (which includes breakfast wraps, omelets, special French toast and pancake dishes and more) online.
• Colby Hill Inn (3 The Oaks, Henniker, 428-3281, www.colbyhillinn.com) will offer a fixed-price dinner from 12:30 to 5:30 p.m. The cost is $39.99 per person and half price for children 12 and under. Call for reservations.
• The Common Man restaurants will have special Mother’s Day events. The Common Man at 25 Water St. in Concord, 228-3463, will have a buffet from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The buffet will feature a carving station with roast turkey breast, appetizers (such as boursin-stuffed tomatoes, tomato spinach dip, fried ravioli), salads, breads, entrees (including chicken cordon bleu pasta, roasted salmon, quiche, tofu stir fry and kids’ foods) and a dessert buffet. The dinner menu with Mother’s Day specials will be served from 4 to 9 p.m. The Windham Common Man (88 Range Road, 898-0088) will be open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. serving from the dinner menu and offering specials including spinach Syrian salad, veal cutlets, grilled lamb chops and a warm banana and white chocolate compote over pound cake. The restaurant in Merrimack (304 DW Highway, 429-3463) will be open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. serving from the dinner menu and featuring specials including grilled Atlantic salmon, lobster ravioli served with lobster Florentine sauce, slow- cooked prime rib and a chocolate caramel puff. The Tilt’n Diner (61 Laconia Road in Tilton, 286-2204) will serve from the dinner menu from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and offer specials of King and Queen cut prime rib and baked seafood pie. The Airport Diner (2280 Brown Ave. in Manchester, 623-5040) will offer those same specials and serve from its dinner menu from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. See www.thecman.com for the restaurants’ menus.
• Cotton (75 Arms St., 622-5488, www.cottonfood.com) will be open on Mom’s Day from noon to 6 p.m. with its full dinner menu along with seasonal specials. Something different for the restaurant will be a kids’ menu, which will include items such as grilled salmon, grilled chicken, chicken tenders with fries, fresh pasta with house-made tomato basil sauce, and a couple other dishes.
• Country Tavern Restaurant and Pub (452 Amherst St., Nashua, 889-5871, www.countrytavern.org) will serve a brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be a carving station with ham, lamb, pork and turkey. Omelets will be made to order, and there will be the traditional breakfast items. Luncheon items include stuffed shells, meatloaf, baked salmon, baked oysters and turkey pot pie. The buffet includes coffee and orange juice. The cost is $19.95 for adults and $12.95 for children under 10. Reservations are suggested.
• C. R. Sparks (18 Kilton Road, Bedford, 647-7275, www.crsparks.com) A special three-course dinner menu will be served from noon to 6 p.m. with a choice of appetizer, entrée and dessert (about five to seven choices for each.) Pricing will vary between $25 and $37 depending on entrée choice, and a children’s menu will be available. Call for reservations. The Events Center at C. R. Sparks will hold a brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The cost is $29.95 for adults, $21.95 for seniors, $15.95 for children 5 to 12 years old, and free for kids under 5. Call 666-5880 for reservations.
• Damian’s on the River (737 River Road, New Boston, 497-8888) will offer a special Mother’s Day menu from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Some of the entrée highlights include lobster-stuffed chicken breast with champagne sauce; smoked pork chop stuffed with apricots and prunes over rum-scented baked apples; and char-grilled fresh Alaskan halibut with mango salsa. Each mother will receive a complimentary gift to take home. Reservations are strongly recommended.
• The Derryfield (625 Mammoth Road, Manchester, 623-2880, www.thederryfield.com). A Mother’s Day buffet will be served from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be omelet, waffle, bread, salad, dessert and carving stations as well as a hot line of traditional (corned beef hash, French toast, scrambled eggs) and non-traditional (stuffed sole, seafood paella, beef bourguignon) items. The cost is $22.95 for adults, $18.95 for seniors over 65, and $15.95 for kids 2 to 12 years old. Call for reservations.
• Firefly American Bistro & Bar (22 Concord St., Manchester, 935-9740, www.fireflynh.com) will open at 11 a.m. on Sunday and offer brunch specials. Call for reservations and more information.
• Fody’s Great American Tavern (9 Clinton St., Library Hill in Nashua, 577-9015, www.fodystavern.com) will have a Mother’s Day brunch buffet from11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The buffet ($18 per person) will include an omelet station, lemon and dill salmon, baked cod with citrus beurre blanc, oven-roasted chicken with savory herb sauce, roasted vegetable medley, rice pilaf, scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon and sausage, French toast, carving station with baked ham, fresh tossed salad and an assortment of muffins and danishes.
• Fratello’s (155 Dow St., Manchester, 624-2022, www.fratellos.com/Manchester) The restaurant will have a brunch buffet with two seatings. The first seating is at 11 a.m. and the second is at 2 p.m. There will be omelet, waffle and carving stations as well as traditional menu items, including prime rib and roasted turkey. The cost is $24.95 for adults, $14.95 for children 6 to 12 years old, and free for kids under 5. Call 641-6776 for brunch reservations. The brunch menu is available on the Web site. The restaurant will be serving dinner by reservation. Restaurant seatings are at noon and 2:30, 5 and 7:30 p.m.
• Gauchos (62 Lowell St., Manchester, 669-9460, www.gauchosbraziliansteakhouse.com) will open early for Mother’s Day. Take Mom in for a meal of Brazilian-style meats (cooked rotisserie-style and cut to order at your table) and their selection of salads price fixed at $27.45 per adult, $10.95 per child. Gauchos also serves desserts and coffees for an after-dinner sweet.
• Giorgio’s Ristorante and Meze Bar (524 Nashua St., Milford, 673-3939, www.giorgios.com) will offer a special Mother’s Day brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will be an extended buffet from what is usually offered, with more than 30 different menu items, including a carving station with ham, roast beef and leg of lamb, a made-to-order omelet and pancake station, and a chocolate fountain with a variety of pastries and desserts. The cost is $25.99 for adults and $10.99 for children.
• Granite Restaurant and Bar (96 Pleasant St., Concord, 227-9000, www.graniterestaurant.com) will offer a la carte service with a variety of specials in the dining room and a grand buffet with carving and omelet stations in the downstairs dining rooms with seatings at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Call for reservations.
• The Hanover Street Chophouse (149 Hanover St., Manchester, 644-2467, www.hanoverstreetchophouse.com) Specials along with the regular menu will be available for dinner from 1 to 7 p.m. Reservations are required.
• Holy Grail Food and Spirits (64 Main St., Epping, 679-9559, www.theholygrailpub.com) The restaurant will have a brunch buffet starting at 10 a.m. They will offer a wide range of breakfast items as well as their signature dinner dishes. Complete details will be posted on the Web site soon. Reservations are strongly recommended.
• The Inn at Danbury (67 NH Route 104 in Danbury, 768-3318, www.innatdanbury.com) will serve breakfast and lunch items from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., and dinner from 4:30 to 7 p.m. The cost starts at $12 for adults and $9 for the kids’ menu. Menus include German fare (such as “Baked Fleischkäse with Crackers & German Mustard,” Wiener Schnitzel, Chef Bob’s Oma’s Sauerbraten) and, for breakfast, items including asparagus quiche, Belgian waffles and eggs Benedict. Call for reservations (which are required).
• Michael Timothy’s (212 Main St. in Nashua, 595-9334, www.michaeltimothys.com) will open for its jazz brunch from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Brunch costs $23 for adults, $10 for children under 12. The bistro will serve dinner from 5 to 8:30 p.m. with some specials for Mother’s Day.
• Moe Joe’s Family Restaurant (2175 Candia Road, Manchester, 668-0131, www.eatatmoejoe.com) will have a Mother’s Day brunch with seatings at 8 and 10 a.m., noon and 2 and 4 p.m. Traditional brunch dishes will be served, as well as items such as linguica with sautéed peppers and onions, Portuguese sweetbread French toast, and turkey with all the trimmings. The cost is $17.95 for adults and $9.95 for children under 12. Reservations are required for parties of six or more. Also, the full breakfast menu will be available in dining room from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., and the dinner menu from 4 p.m. until closing. (The brunch is not available at the Country Diner, which is on East Industrial Park Drive.)
• Nonni’s Italian Eatery (72 N. Main St., Concord, 224-0400, www.nonnisitalianeatery.com) will have a Mother’s Day buffet with seatings at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. There will be various stations throughout the ballroom featuring a carving station, fresh homemade salads and antipasti, assorted breads, cakes and sweets. The restaurant will give away to one lucky person at each seating a free birthday gift certificate valued at $50 to be used on her birthday. The buffet costs $19.95 per person. For reservations call Julie Perkins at 573-4038.
• Piccola Italia Restaurant, 815 Elm St. in Manchester, 606-5100, www.piccolaitalianh.com, opens for dinner at noon on Sunday.
• Restaurant Adria (118 Main St. in Nashua, 578-1904) will offer a special Mother’s Day menu with a selection of entrees, side salads and desserts for $25 per person. The featured entrees include a steak served with chef-made Gnocchi in creamy sauce topped with parmesan; slow-roasted lamb served with a bell pepper stuffed with potato and fresh herbs; and chicken breast stuffed with a house-made gourmet spicy cheese, breaded and baked and served with Djuvech (fresh garden veggies slow- cooked with herbs and rice). Reservations are recommended.
• Richard’s Bistro, 36 Lowell St. in Manchester, 644-1180, www.richardsbistro.com, offers brunch from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays and has a variety of entrée choices including six items that are part of its $10 Sunday Brunch menu.
• Saffron Bistro (80 Main St., Nashua, 883-2100, www.thesaffronbistro.com). A four-course Mother’s Day dinner will be served from noon to 5 p.m. The cost is $55 per adult and $27 per child (4 to 10 years). Some of the entrée items include Chicken Saltimbocca, Lobster and Shrimp Flambé, and Rosemary and Sea Salt Crusted Lamb Rack. The complete menu is available on the Web site, and reservations are recommended.
• The Shaker Table (Canterbury Shaker Village in Canterbury, www.theshakertable.com, 783-4238) a brunch from 10 a.m. to noon for $25 per person ($15 for children under 12). Pick from a menu of entrée items (such as lobster eggs benedict, grilled prime rib and eggs, Canterbury smoke house sausage gravy and eggs, crème brulee French toast) and also receive a homemade cider doughnut, fresh fruit, home fries and dessert. The Shaker Table will host a dinner from noon to 4 p.m. The cost is $45 per person ($18 for children under 12). The entrees will come with a choice of soup or salad as well as fresh squash rolls, fire-roasted vegetable, potatoes, corn casserole and dessert. Entrée choices include roast spring lamb, herb-crusted loin of pork, Long Island crispy duckling, baked stuffed haddock and wild mushroom raviolis. See the complete menus for both meals online. Call for reservations.
• Silos Steakhouse (641 DW Highway, Merrimack, 429-2210, www.silossteakhouse.com) will be open from noon to 6 p.m. for Mother’s Day. Call for reservations.
• Unums (47 E. Pearl St., Nashua, 821-6500, www.unums.com) will have a special Mother’s Day event from 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Breakfast dishes such as waffles, quiche and omelets will be served until 2:30 p.m. Other entrée items include Romanesque broccoli lobster risotto, slow oven roasted beef short rib chicken duet, and a grilled lamb sandwich. Call for reservations.
• The Wild Rover (21 Kosciuszko St., Manchester, 669-7722, www.wildroverpub.com). Leave it to the Wild Rover to offer food, fun and a chance to help a good cause all in one event — “Breakfast for Boobs” is the theme of their Mother’s Day breakfast. The Wild Rover and Boston Breast Cancer 3Day are putting on an Irish breakfast from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. — $9.99 for adults and $4.99 for kids 12 and under. Proceeds from the breakfast will go to support breast cancer research.
• The Yard Seafood and Steakhouse (1211 S. Mammoth Road, Manchester, 623-3545, www.theyardrestaurant.com) Mother’s Day brunch will be served from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with seatings on the hour for parties up to six, and every two hours for parties of seven or more. The menu features traditional breakfast fare as well as dinner items such as seafood Newburg, rosemary chicken, and barbecue kielbasa, plus roast beef, turkey, lamb and ham carving stations. The cost is $19.95 for adults and $9.95 for kids under 10. Children under 3 eat for free. Reservations are required. The complete menu is available on the restaurant’s Web site.
• Z Food and Drink (860 Elm St., Manchester, 629-9383, www.zfoodanddrink.com) will be open from noon to 7 p.m. on Mother’s Day. Call for reservations.
• Zorvino Vineyards (226 Main St, Sandown, 887-8463, www.zorvino.com) will have a Mother’s Day brunch buffet with seatings at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m. There will be an array of foods such as crudités, salad station, breakfast station, entree station, desserts and beverages. A cash bar will be open as well for mimosas, bloody Marys and other cocktails. The cost for adults is $35, $16 for children 4 to 12, and free for kids 3 and under. Reservations are required. View the compete buffet menu on the Web site.